During my PhD thesis (Perreira Da Silva, 2010), I focused on building links between the fields of computational modeling of visual attention, computer vision, and the more generic concept of adaptation. To this end, I developed a computational model of attention dedicated to adaptive vision. This model allows interaction with a vision system so that it adapts its processing according to the “interest” of each element of the scene, i.e. what we call saliency.
The model responds to constraints of speed, adaptation, extensibility and dynamics, resulting from an analysis of existing computational visual attention models and their applications. We thus proposed a hybrid approach, taking advantage of the benefits of hierarchical attention models (speed, extensibility) and distributed models (plausibility, management of dynamics). This original approach makes it possible to generate an attentional focal point at each time step without using a saliency map or an explicit feedback inhibition mechanism. This new computational model of real-time visual attention is based on a dynamic system of prey / predator equations, which is well suited for the trade-off between non-deterministic attentional behavior and properties of stability, reproducibility, and responsiveness (Perreira Da Silva et al., 2009; Perreira Da Silva & Courboulay, 2012; Courboulay & Perreira Da Silva, 2012; Perreira Da Silva et al., 2011; Perreira Da Silva et al., 2010).
The analyses of the experiments carried out during the thesis are very positive: despite the chaotic behavior of the prey / predator equations, this system has interesting properties of stability, reproducibility, and reactivity, while allowing rapid, efficient and plausible exploration of the scene. These properties have allowed us to tackle different types of applications such as assessing the complexity of images, dynamic cropping or attentional segmentation of images and videos. The potential of this model remains to be exploited in many other areas, such as human-machine interaction, scene analysis or multimedia indexing.
My PhD thesis is written in French, but a full description of the model was published in a book chapter (Perreira Da Silva & Courboulay, 2012). The source code of the model is not yet available, but as a binary executable can be downloaded.
You will find below a few videos of some applications (Perreira Da Silva et al., 2010; Perreira Da Silva et al., 2012) of this model (video segmentation, dynamic image discovery, dynamic re-purposing). One of the applications not illustrated in the following videos is the evaluation of images or videos complexity using visual attention (Perreira Da Silva & Courboulay, 2011; Perreira Da Silva et al., 2011). This was one of the first publications on this topic.
A few more videos are available here.
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2012Implementation and evaluation of a computational model of attention for computer vision , 2012
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2012Real time dynamic image re-targeting based on a dynamic visual attention model , In 2012 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo Workshops (ICMEW), 2012
- Courboulay et al., 2012Real-time computational attention model for dynamic scenes analysis: from implementation to evaluation. , In SPIE Optics, Photonics and Digital Technologies for Multimedia Applications - Visual attention, 2012
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2012Implémentation et évaluation d’un modèle d’attention pour la vision adaptative , Traitement du Signal, 2012
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2011Une nouvelle mesure de complexité pour les images basée sur l’attention visuelle , In XXIIIème coloque GRETSI - Bordeaux, 2011
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2011Image complexity measure based on visual attention , In IEEE International Conference on Image Processing - ICIP, 2011
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2011Objective validation of a dynamical and plausible computational model of visual attention , In IEEE European workshop on visual information processing, 2011
- Perreira Da Silva, 2010Modèle computationnel d’attention pour la vision adaptative , 2010
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2010Evaluation of preys / predators systems for visual attention simulation , In VISAPP 2010, 2010
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2010Système temps réel de simulation d’attention visuelle : application aux images et séquences d’images , In RFIA 2010, 2010
- Perreira Da Silva et al., 2009Attention visuelle et systèmes proies / prédateurs , In XXIIe Colloque GRETSI - Traitement du Signal et des Image, 2009